My device shows an error when scanning the QR code during the Multi Factor Authentication step of the account signup process. How do I fix it?
Some Android devices seem to have an issue with properly scanning QR codes. You may see an "Incorrect Code. Please try again" error when you scan the code in your authentication app. The issue is not the QR code itself.
The inability to scan the code prevents users from completing the sign up process. To get around the Android QR code scanning issue, the work around involves using the device itself to go through the sign up process, rather than doing it on a desktop or laptop machine and using the mobile device to scan the QR code.
The instructions below will guide you on completing the signup:
- The application will not let you sign up using the same email address, so you first need to contact the Cove Markets Support team first to remove your email address from the system before trying again, either directly using email@example.com, or by clicking on the "Submit a Request" button on the top of the page.
- Once the Support team confirms with you that the email address has been removed from the system, open up a web browser on your mobile device, and navigate to https://trader.covemarkets.com.
- You should be automatically be redirected to the signup / login screen, but if you are not simply click on the "Login" button on the top right.
- You can use the Google login option, or sign up with a username / password combination.
- If using the latter, enter your email address, first name, last name, and select a password that meets the requirements. Click on "Sign up".
- You will receive a verification code in the email address you used during sign up. Once you have that, copy and paste it in the following screen, and click on "Confirm Account".
- The next step is the Multi Factor Authentication set up. Since you are using a mobile device, you will not get a QR code, but rather textual representation of the the QR code itself that you can use. Select the whole code, tap, and select "Copy".
NOTE: Leave this tab open, as you will need to come back to it to complete the signup process.
- Open up your authentication app (Duo Mobile, Authy, Google Authenticator, etc.) and go through the process of manually adding the code. The following instructions and screenshots show the process when using Duo Mobile, but other apps should be similar.
- Within Duo Mobile click on the "+" button on the top right to add a new code.
- Select the "No Barcode?" option on the next screen.
- Scroll down to the bottom, and select "Other" in the following screen.
- Select a name for the "Account", e.g. Cove Markets, and paste the previously copied code into the "Key" field. Click on "Done".
- This completes the MFA set up. Note the 6 digit pin that your authentication application is providing for your newly created account, and go back to your mobile web browser where you initiated the sign up process for Cove Markets. Enter the pin number in the 2FA field, and click on "Submit".
- This completes the Cove Markets sign up process and you should be able to use your credentials on a desktop / laptop, as well as your mobile device.